Golf GPS Reviews - Best Golf GPS Watch In 2017 vs Handheld
- Do you enjoy a good round of golf but are always on the lookout for the best new gadgets to help improve your game? These golf GPS reviews will not only give you the tools for improving your game, but also assist you in improving your handicap, and generally having a better time on the course.
- Are you ready to improve your game? With the purchase of a GPS you’ll be able to improve on your handicap and also experience more enjoyment from your game. Buying a golf GPS can actually provide a better golfing experience, encouraging you to get out on that green and play more often and our golf gps reviews will help you choose the best.
Best Golf GPS Watch Reviews 2017 - Comparison Table
Ease Of Use
Garmin Approach S6 GPS Watch
Bushnell NEO XS GPS Watch
TomTom Golfer 2 GPS Watch
Best Golf GPS Reviews 2017 - Handheld Comparison Table
Ease Of Use
Garmin Approach G8
Garmin Approach G7
Garmin Approach G6
The Best Handheld & GPS Watch For 2017 - Our Pick
Best Golf GPS For 2017
- 2.6” bright full colour screen.
- Durable and waterproof.
- Preloaded with over 30,000 golf courses.
- Screen tap option.
- Move pins around.
- Are you one of those techie types who must have ALL the features, even when you’re playing a good round of gold? You’ll appreciate how the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS has best features of all the GPS products on this page.
- You’ll love how the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS has a sleek and slim design with a full colour screen within a rectangular shape, and with rounded corners. You can access most of the controls through a touch screen, with Score/Measure and Green buttons on the bottom front of the device.
- This device allows you to select which club you are using for better calculations. You can also keep track of you and your friends’ scores. You can tap the screen for a yardage to any location on the course. It will also allow you to measure individual shots, and build a list of average distances per clubs. You can press the Green view button for a map where you can manually move the pin from location to location.
- This product was occasionally glitching, and resetting scores, this has reportedly been fixed via software updates.
- There are cheaper options available and those on a budget might want a more affordable GPS.
Best Golf GPS Watch For 2017
- Precise Yardages.
- Layup Distances.
- Swing Tempo.
- Stat Tracking.
- Garmin Connect Compatible.
- Lightweight and compact
- If you’re willing to spend $160 on the Garmin Approach S2, then it’s recommended you add another $110 to that, and get this Garmin Approach S6 golf watch that’s loaded with essential features that you need to improve on the golf course.
- This golf watch includes Swing Metrics which will help you to improve and train yourself to have a better swing. Features include SwingTempo and TempoTraining. Swing Metrics uses the 3:1 ratio that is perfect for successful golf swings. The watch will present audible tones to help you to synchronize your swing mechanics, and fine-tune your swing.
- The S6 has full colour golf course maps, and also a CourseView button that will display your second shot. You can also preview doglegs, traps, and water hazards on the course. You won’t have to buy a handheld GPS unit now, as this watch now has a PinPointer feature that shows a directional arrow on the green. This will effectively help you to line up your shot, no matter if you’re stuck in the woods or a trap.
- Screen may be difficult to read for those who have bad vision - the handheld units would be best suited for you.
- Price could be an issue for some but this is the cost of having the features of a handheld in a watch.
Best Golf GPS Watch Reviews: Our Top Picks For 2017
GPS watches can be utilized for a variety of purposes, but if you’re a golfer—beginner, expert, or pro—you can benefit from buying a golf gps watch to improve your game. A GPS watch fits much like a regular watch does over your wrist, but has a larger faceplate that displays a wide range of functions related to golfing. They’re like smart watches, but better, as they’re designed for specifically to improve your game of golf.
We’re reviewing 4 of the best golf gps watches for 2017. Each of these golf GPS watches are packed full of the features you need, are easy to use, and will be exactly what you need to help you win that next round of golf!
1. Garmin Approach S2 Golf GPS Watch: The Best Value
Garmin Approach S2
- 4 different color options: black, blue, purple and white.
- Will measure individual shots from anywhere on course.
- Uploads to Garmin Connect.
- Stores a digital scorecard.
- Displays distances to layup points and doglegs.
- Measures yardages from front, middle, and back of green.
- This Golf GPS Watch is perfect for those on the fence deciding to buy, it's cheap and does everything it needs to do well.
- Discontinued so the price has come down considerably.
- Comes Pre loaded with over 40,000 courses worldwide.
- No touchscreen/color screen
- Some users report the watch strap being prone to breaking.
If you’re searching for the best value in a golf gps watch, the Garmin Approach S2 golf gps Watch is your best buying option. You can stop here, or read further on if you have more money to spend.
The Garmin Approach S2 golf gps Watch is made with a black/white rounded view screen. It’s designed to be comfortable to for you to wear and is affordable. This watch has four large push buttons surrounding the dial so you can quickly and easily access the GPS features you need.
You can use this as a regular watch for those times when you’re not on the golf course. But when you are on the course, you can use it to measure distance for shots, doglegs, layups, and yards. You’re sure to be impressed with its high-sensitivity GPS receiver that will measure your accurate distances to the front, middle, and backup of greens. It will also measure your total walking distance, just in case you keep track of your fitness workouts. The Garmin also keep a digital scorecard of your past games, which you can access at any time.
The weight of the watch is 181 grams, which is light enough that you should generally forget that you’re wearing it. Just don’t forget that you’re wearing in on the golf course, as you should be using it!
There are over 39,000 plus international golf courses stored on this watch. It’s also Garmin Connect compatible. With the purchase of this watch you’ll also get free course updates, so don’t forget to attach it to your computer so that you always have the latest and best. Your new golf watch will last for eight hours on one full charge, and it has a waterproof rating of ten metres if you’re one of those guys who doesn’t let a bit of rain hold you back from your game.
Other golf GPS reviews seem to favor the Garmin Approach S2 and it's easy to see why. It's simplicity and affordability make it one of the best golf gps watches you can buy today.
2. Garmin Approach S6: The Best Golf GPS Watch Features
Garmin Approach S6
- Precise Yardages.
- Layup Distances.
- Swing Temp.
- Stat Tracking.
- Garmin Connect Compatible.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Comes with 40,000 courses pre loaded out of the box.
- Hi-Res full color screen.
- Receive text and email alerts directly on the watch when connected to a compatible smartphone.
- No touch screen.
- Users that struggle to read clearly without glasses might want to pass on this one as the small screen makes it quite difficult.
If you want to stick to a strictly golf-based golf watch, then the Garmin Approach S6 Golf GPS Watch has the best features to improve your game.
The Garmin Approach S6 is one of the most expensive GPS devices on this page, but if that doesn’t phase you, please go ahead and place your order now. You’ll love the appearance of this golf watch. It has a circular watch face with circular full colour view screen. You can easily access the four large control buttons surrounding the face plate. If you press the course view button it will display exact distances and the shape and layout of your next hole, including tee box, fairway, and green.
You’ll appreciate how the high resolution screen will look in sunlight. You can even wear gloves and it will still function. It will give you Smart notifications from your smart phone. You can see email, texts, and alerts. It will display maps of over 38,000 golf courses from around the world, without subscriptions or fees required.
The Garmin Connect feature will enable you to play, analyse, and share your rounds. This GPS watch was awarded the “Most Famous Reddot Industrial Design Award”. You’ll appreciate the lightness of this watch as it weights only 200 grams. One full charge will last for about eight hours of golfing GPS time which isn’t the best, but most golfers won’t last much longer than that before heading to the clubhouse for a drink.
3. Garmin Vivoactive GPS Watch: The Best All-in-One GPS Watch!
- Battery can last for up to three weeks from a single charge.
- Colored view screen that reads well in sunlight.
- This golf GPS watch doubles up as a smart watch which can assist you in a range of different activity's.
- Tracks many different sports activity's other than making it a must buy for fitness enthusiasts.
- Tracked statistics can be viewed without the watch on devices such as a smartphone.
- Some users may find this device a little difficult to use due to the amount of options available.
- Notifications can be a little glitchy at times.
If you’re a golfer who wants to stay connected to your business or family through your smart phone, but you don’t actually want to carry around yet another device on the golf course, the Garmin Vivoactive GPS Smart Watch will lighten your load.
The Garmin Vivoactive GPS Smart Watch provides an all-in-one solution for golfers who want a GPS, watch, and smart phone on the green. This lightweight and thin watch comes in a basic black colour but you’ll be impressed with its high-resolution colour touchscreen that rivals that of your smart phone. You’ll also love how this watch can easily be read in sunlight.
If you enjoy golfing, you’ll love the capabilities of this golf watch. You’ll get to use it for wide range of activities, from golf to swimming, walking, jogging, and cycling. Do you want an activity tracker? Forget buying one of those expensive fruit watches, as this golf watch also has activity tracking apps that will provide information on your fitness progress. You can also pair it with your smartphone and receive text and email alerts, even when you’re on the course or at the gym.
Your new golfing GPS watch has more than 40,000 golf courses listed worldwide. The app will provide golf course updates, and it will tally the hold numbers and par, so that you don’t need to scribble this information onto a notepad. The GPS will also measure layup and dogleg distances, and front, middle, and back of green. You can view a scorecard to see if you’re under or over par.
There are free downloads available, including widgets and apps which will keep the watch current. You can customize the main screen with a photo, and set the time as default. One charge will last you for up to three weeks when used normally. In GPS mode you will have ten hours of usage, which is perfect for a few rounds of golf. You can also sync it with the Garmin Connect app for additional functions.
Buyer’s Guide: Things To Know Before Buying A Golf GPS
When you’re seeking the best golf GPS watch, or the best handheld Golf GPS, you need to focus on certain features and specifications that are applicable to your game of golf, not your golfing partners. Being able to narrow down features will be able to assist you in your choice as there can many golf GPS watch reviews, and handheld GPS devices. You must focus on these six factors before making your final purchasing decision.
- Overall Design and build quality of the GPS. Whether you choose to purchase a handheld GPS or a GPS watch, it should look attractive, but still be comfortable to hold or wear. It should also have good build quality but shouldn’t be too heavy or have sharp edges that can scrape your skin. You’ll want to easily access buttons or tap options that actually work when you press them. If it’s a handheld unit, you should be able to move around or place it in your pocket quickly, while the watch should have a comfortable strap that is easy for you to put on.
- Features and Specs. The features and specs are likely going to be the most important factor affecting your decision. Most golfers will be seeking a GPS that has a wide range of features, but remember that the more features it has, the higher that the cost will be for you. If you’re seeking a basic model, ensure it has the basic features such as shot measurement and pinpointing.
- Battery Life. The battery life on your GPS should last for a bit longer than one game. There’s no point in buying a cheap GPS if it suddenly runs out of battery charge midway through the game. You must choose the best one with the longest battery life so you can use it from the start of your game and straight through the finish.
- Usage. The controls on the GPS should be intuitive for you to access. It will not have any purpose if it sits in your pocket or on your wrist because you forgot how to operate the controls. The more straightforward your device is to use, the greater the chances it will become part of your gaming toolkit, and you can impress the other players on the golf course who were too cheap to buy one.
- Price. Price can influence whether you make a GPS purchase or not. There’s no point in charging up your cards if you can’t afford it. The good news is that there are golfing GPS devices on the market for every type of budget, so you’ll be able to find the best one for you. And remember that you’ll still need to include the cost of clubs and bag, and a trolley in your golfing budget. But do keep in mind that if you want to purchase that expensive GPS, that it will pay for itself over many years of golfing enjoyment.
- Golf GPS Reviews. It’s also essential that you read the customer reviews on the best golf GPS watches or rangefinders first. This will give you a good indication what the GPS is like, and its strengths and weaknesses. If a device has too many bad reviews, steer clear. Choose the devices that only have positive reviews.
Top 3 Handheld Golf GPS Devices in 2017 - Our Top Picks
2. Garmin Approach G6 Golf GPS: The Best Value.
Garmin Approach G6
- 2.6” bright full colour screen.
- Durable and waterproof.
- Preloaded with over 38,000 golf courses with free course updates for life.
- Screen tap option.
- Green View allows you to move the pin to days pin location.
- Store a digital scorecard.
- Bright screen which is easily visible in bright conditions.
- Battery will last a weekend of play on a single charge.
- Some reliability issues which reset score cards - this has reportedly been fixed.
- Device software was shipped faulty, this can be fixed by updating to the latest firmware after purchase.
Are you one of those techie types who must have ALL the features, even when you’re playing a good round of gold? You’ll appreciate how the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS has best features of all the GPS products on this page.
You’ll love how the Garmin Approach G6 Handheld Golf GPS has a sleek and slim design with a full colour screen within a rectangular shape, and with rounded corners. You can access most of the controls through a touch screen, with Score/Measure and Green buttons on the bottom front of the device.
This device allows you to select which club you are using for better calculations. You can also keep track of you and your friends’ scores. You can tap the screen for a yardage to any location on the course. It will also allow you to measure individual shots, and build a list of average distances per clubs. You can press the Green view button for a map where you can manually move the pin from location to location.
There are free course updates on this device so your GPS will always be up-to-date. The G6 weighs 440 grams and has fifteen hours of play on one charge, which is perfect if you’re an energetic golfer.
3. Bushnell Neo Ghost Golf GPS: Best Budget Option.
Bushnell Neo Ghost
- Comes preloaded with over 35,000 courses worldwide.
- Automatically detects which course your're playing on.
- Auto detects the next hole.
- Several different color options available.
- Displays up to 4 hazard distances per hole.
- Battery life is great, you can expect to play 3 full rounds of golf on a single charge
- Distances are accurate within a couple of meters.
- Easy to use, even for those who aren't particularly keen on technology.
- No touchscreen/color screen
- Build quality doesn't feel great.
Would you rather avoid tech than use it? Yet you feel jealous as all the guys on the course have a GPS and you don’t. The one solution to your problem is to purchase the Bushnell Neo Ghost Golf GPS, as it’s the easiest one to use!
The Bushnell Neo GPS Ghost is a compact GPS device in a square shape. You can access the button controls from the top, or the left sides. It will display easy-to-read distances on front, centre, and back, as well as up to four hazard distances per hole.
This device has a long battery life and will give you enough time to play three rounds of golf. It will automatically go to the next hole for you, so you won’t have to press the button.
If you’re a golfer who needs an affordable and compact solution, and you’re happy with purchasing a basic GPS, the Bushnell Neo is definitely the right one for you. It does not have any updating capabilities, but if you visit the same courses each season that won’t be a deal breaker.
What Is a Golf GPS and How Can They Improve Your Game?
A golf GPS can be either a handheld device approximately the shape of a smart phone, or it can be worn as a watch. Many golfers have a preference with one or the other, as each have specific benefits and features. But one thing is clear, if you purchase a golf GPS, it can provide at many benefits to improving your game of golf, whether you are pro or expert.
A Golf GPS Will Improve Your Game
Whether you use a golf watch or a device, either will improve your golfing. They can assist you by providing data, which will confirm your instincts. Over time you’ll discover that your golf handicap is improving. And they can be a whole lot cheaper than hiring a golf pro to train you.
A Golf GPS Provides Distances on the Course
The main function of a golfing GPS is to provide you with distances, without you having to run across the course with a tape measure, or from having to use a laser rangefinder. Golf GPSs are smaller and cheaper in price than your laser rangefinder, and they look a lot cooler to use too. While a laser rangefinder might be more accurate to about a metre or so, the golf GPS can still be accurate within a few metres. Also, using a laser rangefinder requires you to hold it steadily in the hand, while that doesn’t matter with your golf GPS. Also, you can automatically receive readings of distances to centre, front, and back.
You’ll View Distances to Invisible Targets
You’ll be able to view these distances because golf GPSs work through the navigation satellites. They can provide this info at a moment’s notice, without you needing a clear line of sight to the target.
Many golf GPSs allow you to customize the settings so that they’re preset for your next game of golf. Many also allow you to enter your score, your partner’s score, and other data. This can also be a whole lot more convenient than scribbling notes on paper, plus, your data can be uploaded to an app on your computer and stored forever.
You’ll Be Able to Lower Your Golf Handicap to Increase Your Confidence
When you’re learning golf you’re also learning how to improve your instincts. A golf GPS can help you to test your gut instincts. They will also help you to play a faster game. Many beginners can become overwhelmed with all the intricacies of the game, and it can be frustrating getting that ball to where it needs to go.
Not only will a GPS help to keep you from second-guessing that distance, but it will help you to decrease human error. Also having the ability to track statistics will provide an additional level of fun to your game.
There are a wide range of golf GPS watches and handheld golf GPS devices, but no matter which one you buy, you’re sure to have a better experience with learning the game.
Why a Golf GPS Is Essential in Improving Your Game
A golf gps is an essential part of every golfers game, whether you’re a beginner, expert, or pro golfer. Is it your goal to improve your handicap and have a faster game? If so you've come to the right place.
You’ll be interested in learning about the 4 main ways that a GPS can improve your game right now.
- Better Course Management - Your golf GPS will enable you to have a better understanding of the distance from ball to the green or other hazards. You’ll also be better able to discern the shapes of the target and other hazards, even if you’re several metres away. This information isn’t just from the tee to the next hole either, but you’ll also have a graphic overview of the entire golf course. Also having a understanding of the green can better aid you in the best golf club selection.
- Assistance for when you can't see the hole - A GPS is also great for when you can’t see the complete hole ahead of you. On many courses, part of the hole may not be visible from your tee. If you have a GPS, it will display an accurate distance to the green even if you are aiming towards a green you cannot see. The GPS will help to eliminate some of the guesswork so you aren’t shooting blind.
- Accurate Measurement of shots - Your GPS will help to measure your shots. You’ll be able to more accurately gauge the distance to the front of the green, the middle of the green, and the back of the green. And some devices also have a feature where you can touch and drag the pin location with your finger, so you can get a more accurate reading. You’ll also be able to determine distance over bunkers, and past water hazards. If you didn’t already have a firm grasp of which club to use for which stroke, together, this information will aid you in choosing the best club.
- Improve your game - Besides being able to measure your shots, a GPS device will help you to record your scores without having to scribble them onto score pads. A GPS will also store game stats information on the device so that you can access it at any time. Later, you can analyse which parts of your game need improvement. All the technology that is built within the device has been designed to improve your game and provide you better enjoyment.
By now you’ll understand how there are many golf GPS handheld and GPS watch selections to choose from. As you can see from the above five choices, the features, design, and capabilities can all widely vary. You’ll need to decide which is better for you: handheld or watch, then make your choices based on basic or more advanced features.
By now you have likely narrowed down your choices to one or two. So, what are you waiting for? Click and buy your favourite golf GPS device right now! And remember that no matter which golf GPS you choose, you’re going to experience major improvements in your next game. You never know, you may even beat your expert golfing friend for a change!
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Golf GPS Reviews
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- Ease Of Use
- Build Quality